Monday, July 23, 2007

The Trinity vs. "My Student".

I learned quite a bit this last Thursday and Friday while with Haley as she registered for classes at Oregon State University.
You see, Haley has become "my student". Not my daughter but "my student". And I wonder. How can she be "my student" when I'm not "her instructor"? But that's what they all call them. "Your student!" Huh?
So after four years of college, or better yet, many years of and in college as professors they still don't get it. "My student?" No! she is "their student!"
So since i'm really messed up over this and I just don't get it I have decided that it's much the same as the Holy Trinity. Since Jesus, The Holy Spirit and God are one and the same, then perhaps Haley can be Hopper, My daughter and "my student" all at the same time.
Perhaps English 101 will explain?
Thank you for taking this ride with me.

13 comments:

Susie Q said...

A swell blog Steebur.
Some mighty deep thoughts too.

I must say I'm tickled pink to get the opportunity to share the whole OSU experience with Haley. Whether or not she is "my student", she is "my ticket to all things college". Ahhhh....
((By the way, Jim is playing the OSU fight song right now! Tee, Hee!))

Susie Q said...

Now he's playing USC's fight song. Wow, this is gonna be fun!

Amy said...

I am glad you and Haley get to experience all of this together. There is nothing like it.

If you like music maybe you'll enjoy this... Mighty Oregon

Don't be afraid to sing along...

She is small our Alma Mater
But she rules with strength and right,
What she lacks in mass and numbers
She makes up for in her fight
Oregon is never beaten
'Till the final whistles call.
Who can tell her tale of triumph?
Scores can never show it all....

froelica said...

You just blew my mind.

Mac said...

Nicely done Amy. I'll be sure Haley memorizes it.
It's begun.............

Susie Q said...

It's a trick Jim! It's Uof O's fight song! Amy, you fink!

kara said...

My parents didn't do CRAP with me when I prepared to go to college. I'm jealous. I think I had I was left with just the label of "student", belonging to no one. Sniff.

Sarah said...

Deep thoughts, by Jim

Emily said...

Man I wish you were all this excited when Sarah went to Ozark and I went to Western.... I guess that's what we get when we don't go to a Pack 10 school.... hmph

I can't wait to join in all the college stuff too though - Western was lame when it came to being a "cool college"....

froelica said...

See, what I like most about PSU is I don't have to be involved. At all. With anything.
Does PSU have any sports? I think we have some sort of "Viking" team/s... Can't be too sure though.

Mac said...

PSU does have sports. Their football team plays at PGE Park. In fact, Doug and Connie have purchased season tickets to their games.
There you go. Just a bit of very insightfull information from me.

Amy said...

I agree with Ashley. I graduated from PSU and never saw a single sprting event. The closest I cam was seeing the golf team practice early in the morning on my way to Yoga class.

There is something about a city college, just no magic there at all. Does PSU even have a rival school?

froelica said...

Damn straight Amy