Saturday, May 12, 2007

It's not CEMENT

After nearly 20 years of watching (inspecting) concrete being placed, I was talked into helping create a new patio for the stink'n Chilcotts. I was very pleased with the results. In fact, I am considering quiting my current job and becoming a concrete contractor. But since I can barely move now, due to the amazing man-work I will for-go the career change for now. Thank yoi Ibuprofen.
Josh's idea to have an exposed aggregate finish challenged us all. But the challenge was met. And it is awesome. It kind of looks like Rice Krispy Treats, without the shine.
And Jon, not only is a good concrete worker, but he is a great ditch-diggin'-trench-makin' sumbitch. He likes playing in the mud.
My goal for the day was to see just when Sarah began to call the patio a "concrete" patio as opposed to "cement", like in the Beverly Hillbillies when they refered to their backyard pool as a "cee-ment-pond". By the end of the gig, I think she actually mentioned "concrete". Way to go Knoskers of Zib.

7 comments:

Susie Q said...

Jon is indeed a sumbitch...I mean he's a great worker, yeah that's what I meant.
Sarah, aka Knoskers of Zib, I too went years being forever corrected by your father regarding the whole cement vs concrete thing. I now find I am NEARLY as alarmed at the misuse of the terms as he is, (okay he's a bit of a purist but we love him anyway, right?)
Glad the ol' patio is beginning to shape up nicely. Josh and friends did an awesome job. Good work guys!

Amy said...

I am ready to be educated. What exactly is the difference between concrete and cement? And asphalt for that matter.

Mac said...

Well...since you asked,
concrete is a mixture of aggregate, sand, cement and water.
When the water is mixed with the cement, it becomes the paste which bonds all the aggregate, sand etc. together. You can have cement by itself but you cannot have concrete without cement.
And since you asked, concrete does not harden because it dries out. It hardens through the process known as Heat of Hydration. Concrete can be placed underwater and will still harden. Just ask Sarah. She did a science experiment in 7th grade.
There you go.
As for asphalt, again there is sand, and aggregate. The bonding comes from using a sticky oil product instead of cement. It is also much more flexible than concrete.

Sarah said...

I remember that science project. Everyone hypothesized WRONG! I kicked some science butt that day. :)
Oh, and since I'm the target here, I better try to defend myself. I thought that concrete was "dried" (or whatever) cement. I get it now. I was trying to explain the whole cement/concrete thing to the kids the other day and got some funny responses. Lauren said she likes the word concrete better, so she will use it from now on. Hayden said he doesn't care what it's called, he's calling it cement. Huh.

Mac said...

And did you know that when the hydrogen molecules in steel get to over 300 degrees they start to move?
Hmmm???

froelica said...

Hmmm... This takes me back to 11th grade science class. A place I don't like to venture to....

*slowly backs away*

Emily said...

Not sure why - but for some reason picturing Sarah doing that science experiment brings me back to the family video we have of her putting on a "magic show" for Charis' birthday party - do you all remember that - and if not - Dad - que the videos!! :)